Saturday, December 15, 2007

"Morning!" vs "Good Evening!"

A couple of months ago, when I was teaching the intonation of English greetings, one of my students asked me, why we can greet people by saying "Morning!", omitting "Good", and can not do the same with "Good evening!". That was an interesting question. I had not thought about it before. 

But then, when I started explaining how "Good morning!" lost its "Good", everything became very clear. The answer is simple: because the word 'evening' starts with a vowel, while the word 'morning' starts with a consonant. Consonants undergo assimilation, while vowels do not. So what happens to "Good morning!"?

Good morning!
Goob morning!
Goom morning!
Gm morning!
Gmorning!
Morning!

In "Good evening!" 'd' and 'e' can not assimilate. Therefore - nothing happens!

3 comments:

Galina said...

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that I've heard "Evening" without "Good", too.
BTW, it can be sound funny, but recording my voice messages I have problems to say the very first phrase with the proper intonation. I meen - "Hello, everyone." Sometimes I have to record it several times and I'm still not satisfactory :(. Could you remind intonations of greetings, please?

Unknown said...

It's a good argument, Elena, but I have to agree with Galina on this one. There is a classic police series from the early days of British TV called "Dixon of Dock Green". The hero, PC Dixon, started each episode with "Evening, all!":-))

Unknown said...

I sometimes hear this "evening", too. But each time it sounds somewhat unnatural for me... ))